In 1883, a group of 18 local residents formed the Art Association of Indianapolis. Its first exhibit in a downtown hotel featured 453 works by 127 artists. It was well received and as appreciation and support for the fledgling group grew, so did its resources and ambition. In 1966 the Lilly estate, Oldfields, was donated to be used for a new museum. In 1969 the group changed its name to The Indianapolis Museum of Art. It is now the fifth largest general art museum in the United States with active exhibition and education programs that carry on the founders' original intentions.